Bowlfuls of wintery chocolate granola covered in milk and eaten from the comfort of your sofa wrapped up in a snuggly dressing gown… Perfect!
I love making my own granola, it’s so easy to do and you can pretty much throw flavours together and it’ll work – I’d even go so far to say it’s foolproof. For this granola recipe I’ve used chocolate as the main flavour, with a hint of cinnamon throughout. I’ve added in raw cacao but you could easily substitute for a good quality dark cocoa powder instead (perhaps add a little more than instructed below if using cocoa instead).
As Christmas is on the way, you could make batches of this granola and then pour into glass jars and tie a lovely ribbon around to make a pretty homemade gift for your family and friends. I’m sure they’ll love it as much as I do! I like to create little home-made treats for this time of the year, it’s a great way to play around in the kitchen and get creative, and then pass all the loveliness to your loved ones.
I’ve created a recipe tutorial over on my Instagram page @jennifermakes of how to make this granola, so after giving the recipe a read through below it would be worth watching the video first and then you’re good to go!
You will need:
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- 2 tbsp of raw cacao
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 150g of oats
- 100g mixed nuts
- 2 tbsp of pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp of sunflower seeds
- 50g chopped dates
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 160°c.
- Begin by adding the coconut oil, maple syrup, raw cacao, cinnamon and vanilla extract to a pan. Gently heat together until the ingredients are melted.
- In a mixing bowl add the oats, mixed nuts and seeds and stir together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl and using a spoon, stir together until fully coated and combined.
- Spread out the granola onto a baking tray in an even layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Add the chopped dates when cool, store in an airtight container.