By Healthy Jon
Creator of healthyjon.com
A raw cheesecake is a great place to start if you are relatively new to healthy dessert making, all you need is a food processor and a freezer. The base consists of; dates & nuts and the filling consists of; cashews, coconut oil, coconut milk & agave/honey/maple syrup etc., then just add flavourings to both to create different varieties of cheesecake. How easy is that!
You will need:
For the base:
- 15 medjool dates
- 1 cup of mixed nuts
- 2 tbsp. of desiccated coconut
- Zest of 1 lemon
For the filling:
- 200g of soaked cashews
- ½ cup of coconut oil (solid)
- 200ml of coconut milk
- 4 tbsp. of agave/honey/maple syrup etc.
- Dash of vanilla essence
- Zest of 2 lemons and juice of all 3
- Soak your dates for at least 2 hours (preferably 4) then drain, rinse and dry.
- Add the nuts to the food processor and blitz until they form a small crumb like texture (do not blitz for too long or they will turn into a powder, just 10 seconds will do), then add the remaining base ingredients and blitz until it starts to come together.
- Remove and spread into the base of a spring form pan, making sure it is even all over, pop in the freezer to set.
- Clean the food processor then add the dry cashews along with the remaining filling ingredients (melt the coconut oil first) and blitz until VERY smooth, the smoother the mixture, the lighter and creamier your cheesecake will be.
- When silky smooth pour over the base, spread flat and pop back into the freezer for 4 hours then serve.
NOTE. This will last quite a while in the freezer so you can make it well ahead of time if you need to, just remember if frozen for more than 6 hours or so it will need about an hour to soften up before you can serve it.